Just to update the progress and completion of the cherry wine cabinet, the assembly was completed, and an important lesson was learned: finish the small dividers BEFORE glue-up, because rubbing wax into a 4″x4″ cubby yields bloody knuckles and is not much fun…
For the finish, three coats of rubbed-in Boiled Linseed Oil, the second and third coats were applied after heating, at the suggestion of Rob Bois (http://theboisshop.blogspot.com/), who found this suggested by Thos. Moser, renowned furniture maker. After warming it, the viscosity was certainly different than room temperature, but I didn’t notice any difference in the absorption (on a test piece). In any case, the fourth coat was an wiped on oil-poly blend, then two applications of amber paste wax. The end result was a silky satin finish, which I put in the sun for a week to add age and darken a bit. Overkill, yes, since the piece is destined for a corner installation, both sides covered from view, but the top, drawers and dividers look nice without having to wait a couple months/years.
I can’t recall whether I mentioned the inlay to the drawer previously. I used a figured maple inlay and scratched a bead around the edges to border the drawer, to echo the leg band detail, and turned a maple knob to match. The drawer border was intended to echo a bead around a panel of the drawer on the hutch beside the wine cabinet.
The drawer is half-blind dovetails on the front, through on the back, using maple sides, poplar for the back and the drawer bottom, and will be used to keep a wine tasting binder, and corkscrews.
I’m very happy with the result and the final installation went smoothly.
I only wish I had logged my hours, I’d have to estimate broadly 80-160h, though I may be way off in either direction…though I took several detours, did a lot of experimenting, toolmaking, and various other diversions in designing and building, which made for a less than streamlined build.
I celebrated the completion by drinking a bottle of Barolo…delicious. (No, not all by myself…)